R. Michael Bolen
Hood & Bolen, PLLC Attorneys At Law of Jackson, Miss. Bankruptcy | Personal Injury | Divorce
- FORMER UNITED STATES TRUSTEE UNITED STATES DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE
- Appointed U.S. Trustee for Louisiana and Mississippi on June 2, 2002, in the George W. Bush Administration by U.S. Attorney General John Ashcroft to a five-year term and was the first Mississippian to hold this office.
- Reappointed to a second five-year term as U.S. Trustee for Louisiana and Mississippi on July 23, 2007, by U.S. Attorney General Alberto Gonzales.
- As U.S. Trustee, responsible for the U.S. Trustee’s offices in Jackson, New Orleans and Shreveport for the U.S. Department of Justice including 35 federal employees and over 50 Chapter 7, 11, 12 and 13 trustees; overseeing more than 30,000 bankruptcy cases filed annually in Louisiana and Mississippi; approving appropriate litigation to be taken in such cases before 10 federal bankruptcy judges; appointing trustees, examiners and ombudsmen; and approving all budgetary matters for the operation of the U.S. Trustee’s offices.
- Senior attorney for the United States Trustee, U.S. Department of Justice, from 1988 until appointment as the U.S. Trustee in 2002.
- Estate administrator for the United States Bankruptcy Court, Northern District of Mississippi from April, 1984 through October, 1988 and president of the National Association of Estate Administrators in 1988.
- Member of Gifford, Moore and Bolen, Attorneys at Law, Booneville, Mississippi, 1979 – 1984; served as assistant city prosecutor for the City of Booneville, 1981 – 1984.
- Frequent speaker on bankruptcy and insolvency issues at seminars sponsored by such organizations as the Mississippi Bankruptcy Conference, Louisiana State University, Mississippi College, Bankruptcy Law Section of the Louisiana State Bar Association, American Bankruptcy Institute, National Business Institute, and the American Conference Institute.
- 1974 graduate of the University of Mississippi with a Bachelor of Public Administration (Law Enforcement).
- 1978 graduate of Mississippi College School of Law with a Doctor of Jurisprudence.
- Admitted to practice before the Mississippi Supreme Court, 1979; United States District Court, Northern District of Mississippi, 1980, Southern District of Mississippi, 1988; United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, 1986; United States Supreme Court, 1986.
- Member of the Mississippi Bar Association, American Bankruptcy Institute, Mississippi Bankruptcy Conference – president 2002, vice president 2001, chairman of various committees; Mississippi College School of Law Alumni Association – president 1992 and 2010, vice president 1991, treasurer 1990, member of the Board of Directors 1987.
- Mississippi College School of Law Lawyer of the Year/Alumnus of the Year 1988 and 2003.
- Reservoir YMCA – Board of Directors: Chairman, 1999, Vice Chair, 1998.
Contact Hood & Bolen, PLLC Attorneys At Law today at 601-923-0788 to schedule an appointment, or browse the website for more information about R. Michael Bolen or about the firm.